[EXTERNAL] Re: TeX on Windows?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Wed May 26 00:11:58 CEST 2021

Robert Jantzen wrote:

> I am running Windows 10 on a 2 year old Dell Latitude laptop
> (Villanova University issue). My PCTex6.1 typesets my 836 page text on
> Differential Geometry in about 10 seconds, but requires 3 passes, then
> I export to PDF maybe 20 seconds and I get a beautiful PDF book BUT
> the cross-links do not work. Earlier in the decade they would work,
> now I am stuck unable to update my PDF book with working navigation.

OK, do you have administrator access to that machine ?  Regardless, try
what I did today in order to install TeX Live 2021 afresh —

 1. Download the TeX Collection 2021 ISO file from
    http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive-utah-2021/Images/texcol2021.iso
 2. Extract all files to a new directory (e.g., C:\TeX Collection 2021)
    on your hard disc
 3. Navigate (in Windows Explorer) to C:\TeX Collection 2021
 4. Double-click on files "setup.bat"
 5. When the TeX Collection DVD 2021 GUI launches, tell it that you want
    to "Run TeXLive Setup"; if you have administrator access, then also
    tell it "... as Administrator".
 6. Expect a bug report just after the last package has been installed —
    this should be non-fatal.
 7. Wait for installation to complete (/circa/ 3 hours), then test and
    report back.

--
/Philip Taylor/