Installing TeX Live on Windows 7, potential problems

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue May 25 23:44:24 CEST 2021

On 2021-05-25 at 17:39:36 +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > Estimated time to completion on my Fujitsu Celsius W550 (i7, 16GB, 1TB
 > M2 SSD + 32TB disc farm) is around three hours, installing from a 16GB
 > USB stick onto which has been unpacked the complete TeX Collection ISO.
 > USB Device Tree Viewer V3.5.2 shews the USB stick as being connected to
 > a USB 2.0 MTT Hub under an Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.
 > Installing is taking place to the M2 SSD.

On my Linux machine installation of current TeX Live with binaries for
one platform from a USB-3 stick takes less than 15 minutes.

I cleared the file-system cache before installation to make sure that
data was read from the stick and not from memory.  Install target was
an SSD but installing to a hard drive wouldn't be much slower.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de