[External] Re: Installing TeX Live on Windows 7, potential problems

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue May 25 20:08:46 CEST 2021

Beuthe, Thomas wrote:

> Philip added:
>
> >Estimated time to completion on my Fujitsu Celsius W550 (i7, 16GB, 1TB
> M2 SSD + 32TB disc farm) is around three hours, installing from a 16GB
> USB stick onto which has been unpacked the complete TeX Collection ISO.
> >USB Device Tree Viewer V3.5.2 shews the USB stick as being connected
> to a USB 2.0 MTT Hub under an Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host
> Controller.  Installing is taking place to the M2 SSD.
>
> In past years, the complete installation would take way less than an
> hour. Ok, the overall package has grown, but not by a factor of 2x-4x
> I think.
>
> I somehow get this creepy feeling that the perl unpacker is lagging or
> something. Hard to tie down.
>
> It just used to me so much faster. Or maybe I’m just getting older? :-)

Hard to know, especially as we are all ageing at the same rate !
Unfortunately my installation failed as follows :

... zztex
... 3:00:40
Use of uninitialised value $deftmflocal in string N:/texlive/install-tl
line 1364.

I am about to try again ...
--
/Philip Taylor/