TeX on Windows?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue May 25 13:23:45 CEST 2021

Dr Alan Litchfield wrote:

> [Download the iso image and] mount it onto your computer.

Not possible under Windows 7, Alan, unless additional software is
installed.  But to Bob :

> I have been happily using PCTeX all these years, and will continue to
> do so but it seems like PCTeX has left us in the past two years since
> I communicated with someone there at the company. Does anyone know
> what happened to them? https://www.pctex.com/ website seems abandoned
>
> Is there any other for pay product to replace it?

Pass.  Although I used to pay for TeX back in the Kellerman & Smith
days, I have not done so since then, and have never paid for a PC
version.  Many years ago the late, great, Sebastian Rahtz persuaded me
to switch to TeX Live, and I have never looked back. In the past I would
use the network installer, or download and burn the ISO, or download and
mount the ISO, but these days I use Rsynch to fetch the installation
suite and install from my local copy.  The real problem is that TeX Live
is not a Windows product — it is a generic product that has to support
$2^n+1$ variant operating systems (how many different ways can you spell
"Linux" ?), and as a result the documentation too has to be generic,
which is distinctly sub-optimal.

I am certain that together the TeX user community will be able to assist
you, but some background information will be vital, and it will almost
certainly take several iterations before we achieve complete success.
So, questions :

 1. Exactly which operating system are you running
 2. Are you able to access your computer as am administrator
 3. Do you have fast Internet access from your computer ?  (where "fast"
    => better than 10Mbps) ?

And to my fellow TeX and Windows users — given that one can install (for
example) Windows 7 from a USB stick, using the Microsoft Windows USB/DVD
download tool
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/details.aspx?id=56485>, has
anyone investigated whether an analogous methodology could be used to
install TeX Live from a USB stick for people such as Bob who lack a DVD
reader ?

--
/Philip Taylor/