Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri May 7 21:10:47 CEST 2021

On Fri, 7 May 2021 at 19:56, Paulo Ney de Souza <pauloney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 3:15 AM Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Fri, 7 May 2021 21:37:10 +1200 schrieb Rolf Turner:
>>

>> > There are too many possibilities, too many things to adjust, and never
>> > any *real* guidance as to where to begin.
>>
>> The configuration is described in the quite complete documentation
>> of texlive
>>
>> https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html
>>
>> But as David wrote, you only need this if you want to use xelatex
>> and call fonts in the texmf tree by font name. For lualatex and
>> pdflatex it is not relevant.
>>

> Ulrike,
>
> What David is recommending is NOT a part of TeXLive documentation.

You misunderstood what I wrote which is exactly as texlive suggests/

> What is recommended there, buried in Section 3.4.4 of 41 pages of
> documentation is:
>

>    1. Copy the texlive-fontconfig.conf file to
>    /etc/fonts/conf.d/09-texlive.conf.

I just showed the file rather than say where to copy if from

>    1. Run fc-cache -fsv.
>
> .. but even then several question remain:
>
> 1. Is this a "mis-configuration" of my installation?

Because by default it is documented that you can not use internal  font
names for files in the texlive tree with xetex unless you configure
fontconfig tolook in texlive.
That is optional but if you are going to post a long list of errors for
fonts not found in texlive when called by name, you should configure your
system so that is supposed to work before doing the tests.

> 2. Why is this standard behaviour on Windows and not on Linux?

windows doesn't use fontconfig so the windows-texlive specific fontconfig
that is distributed with windows can be set up to be optimal for xetex.
fontconfig is the system wide font system on linux and by default
installing texlive does not change the system settings in that way but
leaves it as an option.

> 3. If David's trick works -- I have not been able to make it work yet and
> I am waiting on more clarity from him --

see above, that was a misunderstanding, I was just saying the same as the
tl document suggests.

this is a completely internal job on part of TL, so why is it done on
> Windows and not on Linux?

see above.  On linux changing the fontconfig setting changes the fonts
available to all applications on the system.
It is not, on linux, internal to texlive at all, it is configuring the
system font  system.

> Paulo Ney

David