Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Fri May 7 20:54:27 CEST 2021

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 3:15 AM Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 7 May 2021 21:37:10 +1200 schrieb Rolf Turner:
>

> > There are too many possibilities, too many things to adjust, and never
> > any *real* guidance as to where to begin.
>
> The configuration is described in the quite complete documentation
> of texlive
>
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html
>
> But as David wrote, you only need this if you want to use xelatex
> and call fonts in the texmf tree by font name. For lualatex and
> pdflatex it is not relevant.

Ulrike,

What David is recommending is NOT a part of TeXLive documentation.

What is recommended there, buried in Section 3.4.4 of 41 pages of
documentation is:

   1. Copy the texlive-fontconfig.conf file to
   /etc/fonts/conf.d/09-texlive.conf.
   2. Run fc-cache -fsv.

.. but even then several question remain:

1. Is this a "mis-configuration" of my installation?

2. Why is this standard behaviour on Windows and not on Linux?

3. If David's trick works -- I have not been able to make it work yet and I
am waiting on more clarity from him -- this is a completely internal job on
part of TL, so why is it done on Windows and not on Linux?

Paulo Ney