Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue May 4 14:52:58 CEST 2021

Am Tue, 4 May 2021 13:13:11 +0100 schrieb Philip Taylor:

>>> My "problem" is with the idea that each font should require a separate
>>> package before it can be used.  If we take (for example) all fonts that
>>> are supplied only in AFM/PFA/PFB formats, could there not be one
>>> "AFMPFX" package that would make /all/ of them available ?

>> What would be the gain?
>
> The gain, Ulrike, would be that in order to answer Rolf's /cri de cœur/,
> one would simply have to say "use the AFMPFX package, Rolf — that will
> allow you to use not only BrushScriptX-Italic,

It will *allow* him to use 1000 fonts. But what exactly should he
then do to actually *use* the one specific font family he wants to
use? Read through the 300 page documentation of your AFMPFX to find
the right command combination?

> but will also allow you to use any type-1 font listed in the
> catalogue. And if you want to use some fonts that exist only in a
> different format, then you just need to load the package for that
> format, regardless of the actual font(s) that you want to use".

Why should Rolf have to care about the font format? He wants to load
a font family by name and not have to do some research on font
technology first. Why should he have to fight with types like tfm,
vf, pfb, pfa, mf, otf, ttf, ttc?  Has word an "otf fonts" and "ttf
fonts" and "ttc fonts" menu?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/