Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue May 4 14:07:53 CEST 2021

Bob Tennent wrote:

>   >|Incidentally, I now see that BrushScriptX-Italic existed
>   >|as a PFB file in (some) earlier releases of TeX Live
>   >|(e.g., TeX Live 2008, 9, 10, 11, 12).  What happened to
>   >|the PFB file thereafter, and is this in part a cause of
>   >|the problem ?
>
> I don't know why the pfb was replaced by a pfa but it isn't
> the cause of any problem. But I have no idea what you think
> is a problem.

The problem, Bob, is that one should not need a /package/ in order to
use a /font/.  A font is a little thing, rather like (say) colour.  If I
want to typeset a stretch of text in blue, I don't expect to have to
load a package "blue.sty" — I expect there to be a package called (say)
"colour.sty" that will allow me to use /any/ colour that I can specify
in a meaningful way.  And that is how I would expect fonts to be
handled, by (say) a package called "type-1-fonts.sty" that would allow
me to use /any /type-1 font that appears in the LaTeX font catalogue.

But the real problem, I fear, is that you don't see there to be any problem.
--
/** Phil./