Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue May 4 12:07:52 CEST 2021

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> The general advice to use any font in latex is to try to find a
> support package and to use it.

And people wonder why some prefer Microsoft Word to TeX.

Really, I am having great trouble not using profanities here — someone
wants to use a different font to the default, and they have to search
for a /support package/ in order to use it ?!  What sort of insanity is
this ?  If, as I suspect, the problem lies primarily with those fonts
that exist only as AFM/PFA (or B) pairs, then why don't we just mark all
such fonts as "deprecated" and recommend only those fonts that exist as
TTF/OTF ?  These can then be handled natively by Xe[La]TeX, and will
need no "support package" at all.

Incidentally, I now see that BrushScriptX-Italic existed as a PFB file
in (some) earlier releases of TeX Live (e.g., TeX Live 2008, 9, 10, 11,
12).  What happened to the PFB file thereafter, and is this in part a
cause of the problem ?
--
/Philip Taylor/