Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue --- a few comments.

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Tue May 4 11:32:14 CEST 2021

 >|That was where I initially stumbled. I'm just not a
 >|point-and-click weeny, and it never occurred to me to
 >|click on the font names. Obvious in retrospect.
 >|
 >|Apparently Philip Taylor, one of the contributors to this
 >|discussion also stumbled at this hurdle.

The LaTeX Font Catalogue now has the following on the
relevant pages:

  Click on the individual fonts to see further examples and
  instructions for use with LATEX.

 >|> That will take you a page with a Text example, Usage
 >|> and Style example. And there is also a link to the
 >|> LaTeX source of the Text example.

Sorry about that. I never looked at that source file but
assumed it was the source for the Text example; but in fact
it's the source for the "PDF sample" which also has a font
table.  That's why it's so complex.  All you needed to look
at was the Usage and Style example.

 >|> I would advise you to consult the "LaTeX2e font
 >|> selection" document, by the LaTeX3 Project Team. In
 >|> your terminal
 >|>
 >|>      texdoc fntguide
 >|
 >|That was something I didn't know about, and to which I
 >|had previously seen no reference. Could indeed be useful.
 >|However when I looked at this document I found it a bit
 >|daunting. I note that it says "[This guide] is intended
 >|for package writers who want to write font-loading
 >|packages ...." That is certainly not my circumstance.
 >|Writing such a package is well beyond my capabilities.

Sections 2.1 and 2.2 are essential reading for LaTeX users.

 >|In one document that I looked at a distinction seemed to
 >|be made between "font" and "typeface". I'm sure it's an
 >|important distinction, but I don't get it.

Think of "typeface" as being a font *family*, typically
including roman, bold, italic and bold-italic fonts.

Bob T.