[EXT] how to start tex program to write first program

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Mar 7 18:48:54 CET 2020

political science wrote:

> I installed tex, approximately 6 gb was downloaded.
> I read http://ctan.imsc.res.in/info/first-latex-doc/first-latex-doc.pdf
> what I am not able to understand among the folders  in a directory
> C:\texlive\2019
> which icon should I double click so that program starts and I start
> writing some
> thing.

Below "C:\texlive\2019", you should find "bin\win32", within which you
should find "TeXworks.exe".  Launch this (by double-clicking), and a TeX
editor will load; you can then type your first TeX program into its main
window :

% !TeX Program=XeTeX

\message {This will appear on the console}

and this will appear in the preview window.

\end

Then click on the "Typeset" button (a grey right-pointing triangle on a
green circular ground), and TeXworks will ask where you want to save the
file and what name to give it.  Accept the defaults, and you should see
the results in the right-hand (preview) window.  To see the message on
the console, press Ctrl-\ when focus is in the main (source) window.

/Philip Taylor/