Semantic TeX

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 17:53:43 CEST 2020

Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists at gmail.com> writes:

> Should be titled "Towards a Semantic TeX" maybe.

Isn't LaTeX already partly semantic?

Beyond that see my article in TUGboat, v. 31 (2010)
"LaTeX profiles as objects in the category of markup
languages",
http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb31-2/tb98hammond.pdf

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 12:47, Aaron Gray
> <aaronngray.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Anyone know of or interested in specifying a semantic
>>version of TeX that can be represented in XSD XML Schema
>>format and then converted into near isomorphic
>>C++/C#/Java/TypeScript classes (and enums).

Do you have a reason for preferring XSD to "relaxng"?  When
you say "converted into near isomorphic
C++/C#/Java/TypeScript classes (and enums)", are you
speaking of something different from building what is called
an XML DOM  (xml document object module) ?

>> I know there are issues with TeX using lexical
>> definitions that break the syntactic and maybe semantic
>> models, so converting from TeX to the sematic data format
>> and XML and back might need some special attention in
>> order to provide conformance.

Indeed.  For example, are you familiar with the TeX document
found in a TeXLive installation with the command line
"kpswhich xii.tex"?

                              -- Bill

Email: hmwlfsr<>yahoo-com
       gellmu<>gmail-com