Unable to install TeXLive

Julius Dittmar Julius.Dittmar at gmx.de
Fri Aug 21 09:00:03 CEST 2020

Hi Matthew,

the best fix would be to rename your account name.

This may sound like a fix in the wrong place to you, but there's good
reason: The texlive installer will not be the only program choking on
the space in your account name.

Spaces have special meaning in commands: They separate command
arguments. Thus any path containing your account name (which is any path
to any of your files) will be read as at least three different arguments
instead of one argument combined. Any work-around making that
space-containing path work will only be a local work-around. There will
always be places where such work-arounds have been forgotten.

In the long run, you save yourself from a lot of trouble if you change
your login name to something without spaces (perhaps use underscores
instead or just omit the space) and if you refrain from using spaces in
file or directory names.

HTH,

Julius Dittmar