Fonts Help [tfm]

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat Aug 8 21:58:22 CEST 2020

On 07/08/2020 23:55, Karl Berry wrote:
 > On 07/08/2020 15:56, Peter Flynn wrote:
>>      I can't remember how to use Postscript fonts in
>>      plain TeX,
>
> Gosh, Peter, have you been with XeTeX so long :)?

Yes, which is why I had to remind myself that you must:

1. decide on a name following the fontname pattern (fnnssee[v])

2. decide on an encoding

3. run afm2tfm and vptovf

4. move the files into The Right Places

And then for LaTeX

5. create a font map file

6. run updmap to install the map

7. create a .sty file and .fd file to implement it all

I was never able to get fontinst to work, so I wrote a bash script to do
this but left it incomplete because it is not possible to detect all the
relevant details from the .inf or .pfb files (no indication if a font is
monospace or not, for example, unless it's embedded in the name). I'm
sure fontinst works fine, but life has mostly moved on from Type 1 fonts.

Peter