Font rendering (was: Re: Flash player no longer supported, what happens to media9 and Skim?)

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Tue Aug 4 01:07:06 CEST 2020

On Mon, Aug  3, 2020 at 11:31 (-0700), Shreevatsa R wrote:

> To the original poster (Jim Diamond): could you carry out the same
> comparison (acroread versus evince) with the attached example-2.pdf
> ? Just curious about the results.

Attached find screen captures from evince and acroread, and captures
of the xmag windows.  To my eye they look the same as before, although
I didn't do a bit-by-bit comparison.

[[ Bonus attachments: b/w xmag screenshots ]]

> This example-2.pdf was generated from the given example.pdf (also re-attached, just for completeness) by running:

> ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dSubsetFonts=true example.pdf example-2.pdf

That's an impression feat of compression.  woof!

> as I learned while writing an
> answer<https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/337122/48> in 2016: the
> intended difference is that the resulting example-2.pdf uses Type 1C
> (CFF) fonts,

That article is interesting.  As are ones it points to.  And so on
down the rabbit hole.

> for which FreeType (used by Evince) has (or had) a better
> rasterizer, instead of Type 1 fonts (as example.pdf does).  All this
> may no longer hold now in 2020, but I'm just curious whether it
> makes a difference.

You can take a look at the xmag outputs and see if you see any
difference between the ones I sent before and the ones I attach here.
I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Evince's black text on white background version is certainly much more
legible than the white on blue.  From the bonus attachments you can
see that evince's output is still a fair bit different than
acroread's, but for casual reading, a far better approximation.

Cheers
                                Jim

--
Dr. Jim Diamond       "Convenio ergo sum"      |                        /"\
Jodrey School of Computer Science              | ASCII Ribbon Campaign  \ /