Font rendering (was: Re: Flash player no longer supported, what happens to media9 and Skim?)

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa.public at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:31:12 CEST 2020

To the original poster (Jim Diamond): could you carry out the same
comparison (acroread versus evince) with the attached example-2.pdf ? Just
curious about the results.

This example-2.pdf was generated from the given example.pdf (also
re-attached, just for completeness) by running:

ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dEmbedAllFonts=true
-dSubsetFonts=true example.pdf example-2.pdf

as I learned while writing an answer
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/337122/48> in 2016: the intended
difference is that the resulting example-2.pdf uses Type 1C (CFF) fonts,
for which FreeType (used by Evince) has (or had) a better rasterizer,
instead of Type 1 fonts (as example.pdf does). All this may no longer hold
now in 2020, but I'm just curious whether it makes a difference.