Font rendering (was: Re: Flash player no longer supported, what happens to media9 and Skim?)

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:34:14 CEST 2020

Off topic and out of order.  Please feel free to ignore this if it is
completely bonkers.

I have been pulling my hair out about differences between pdfs produced by
conversions by ps2pdf, of PostScript output by the Gri graphing language.
This did not involved text.  A friend converted on a Mac and got much
prettier results than my results from ps2pdf, either standalone or by way
of Inkscape.  My workflow has been working fine for at least two years, and
other edits with Inkscape too that suddenly are not working the same.

Why I thought this message thread relevant to my issue: I never understood
previous to the past month that PDFs are rendered differently by different
software.  Even a push or a shove in some direction would be gratefully
received, toward learning more about this entire process.  It troubles me
that my work, as trivial as it is---tide graph calendars, and other
graphs---would not be rendered consistently on different media.  I get it
that in print, my carefully edited grid line widths will look differently
on photo paper in a consumer printer than on, say, generic printer paper.

I have been looking at them with evince, okular, acroread (on GNU/Linux),
and other pdf readers.  My eye is obviously not as discerning as yours,
because I seem little difference between the two images in your
attachment.  I don't know what to look for.

I apologize that this is probably not related to your discussion.

I can provide graphics if anyone wants to look at them.

Alan Davis

--
      "This ignorance about the limits of the earth's ability to absorb
       pollutants should be reason enough for caution in the release