Flash player no longer supported, what happens to media9 and Skim?

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Sun Aug 2 02:47:03 CEST 2020

On Sat, Aug  1, 2020 at 17:39 (-0700), Suresh Govindachar via texhax wrote:

> On 8/1/2020 4:35 PM, Jim Diamond via texhax wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug  1, 2020 at 15:45 (-0700), Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:

>>> [there are good pdf readers on linux]

>> [poor rendering of fonts and inability to read oms documents
>> by pdf readers on linux]

>> Perhaps your experience is different, or you have found better PDF
>> viewers than I have.  If you have a recommendation, I'd be happy to
>> hear it, because having to mess around to get a 32-bit executable
>> (Acroread 9.5.5) to run on a 64-bit only system is a nuisance.

> No clue about oms, but regarding rendering of fonts: Open the pdf in
> Windows and save it with embedding of all the used fonts and their
> attributes. This new file will be larger in size, but will show up fine
> when opened in Linux.

Suresh,

thanks, but the issue is not that the fonts are not embedded in the
PDF and that I am getting some sorry font substituted for the
original.  (It is easy to ask the PDF viewer to list the fonts.)

And regardless of what font is being displayed, Acroread does
sub-pixel rendering, which the Linux open-source PDF viewers (of which
I am aware) do not do.

Finally, you assume I have a windows system, which is not the case.

Cheers.

                                Jim