Importing a figure

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 21:55:42 CEST 2019

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.html
mailto:frainj at tcd.ie
mailto:frainj at gmail.com

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 19:50, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:

> actually you just need graphicx (which calls epstopdf-base behind the
> scenes if needed.

Thanks for the clarification.  Obviously I am a bit out of date.

I have used both octave and gretl and should have advised that graphics
files from both of these packages can save graphics output as pdf which can
then be imported directly into pdflatex.  If you have an amended eps file
it is still necessary to remove any earlier pdf files graphics files
generated by the packages graphics and epstopdf_base.  Otherwise, the new
files will not be converted to pdf and the old converted files will be
included in the document.  I am currently using TeX Live 2017 on Windows 10
and the versions of the graphicx and epsto pdf packages that I am using are
set out below.

Package: graphics 2017/06/25 v1.2c Standard LaTeX Graphics (DPC,SPQR)
Package: epstopdf-base 2016/05/15 v2.6 Base part for package epstopdf