www type bibtex entries - generating bibtex for webpages + prior theme.

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 16 11:04:55 CEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 09:20:40AM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 15/09/2019 23:43, William F Hammond wrote:
> > Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> writes in part:
> >
> > > [...]
> > LaTeX written this way will likely be harder for a human to read than
> > LaTeX written by a human. For example, every instance of \TeX must,
> > absent clumsy look-ahead, be written as \TeX{}, and every newline in
> > an XML <para> must be converted to a space with the result that a
> > <para> of, say, 10 lines, will, absent an algorithm for line width
> > control, come out as a single very long line in translated LaTeX.
> >
> > My other observation here is that there are libraries in various
> > well-known computer languages that facilitate translating SGML or XML
> > document types to other document types or formats. I prefer Perl.
>
> This is the normal procedure. I gave up writing raw LaTeX for anything
> except trivial instances nearly 20 years ago when it became clear that XML
> was the best bet for preserving information. So I write in XML — of one kind
> or another — and transform it to LaTeX when I want a PDF, or to HTML if I
> want a web site, or Markdown if I want a portable document that will work in
> many different environments. Or even to Word or Libre Office, now that it's
> XML inside, so I can give an editable copy to a wordprocessor user.

Yeah if they are equivalent and reversibly convertable it does not
matter much which one the human reads and write. Anyone use JSON like files for anything?

Originally I was trying to contrast the idea of latex-like emails
with say html. If you wanted to read the stuff that came in over the wire
( ignoring transfer encoding etc lol )  because rendering
was not worth the effort, the latex would likely be easier and then
since it has more logical strcuture you could modify the layout
as I have been playing with.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox