viewing long pages, evince seems to choke on simple test file

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:07:29 CEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 03:35:21PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>    On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 15:28, Mike Marchywka <[mailto:marchywka at hotmail.com]marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>      On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 08:53:12AM +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>      > On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 09:08:23AM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>      > >    You don't really need to look in the dvi, (la)tex will warn you already in the log about what is happening.
>      [...]
>      > Thanks, I guess commented out the wrong one,
>      >
>      > \usepackage[paperheight=80in,height=78in]{geometry}
>      > %\usepackage[paperheight=80in,height=120in]{geometry}
>      >
>      > that and ignoring the output warnings...
>      > That seems to fix it now. No idea how that happened although there are so
>      > many warnings typically I don't bother reading them any more  :)
>      >
>      I guess there is some upper limit to page size though. I did not investigate
>      right now but thought someone may now offhand why this is needed.
>      400in does not seem excessive in terms of normal ranges although certainly
>      it is an uncommon sheet size.
>      Thanks.
>
>    400in is around twice TeX's largest dimension.
>    The TeXBook says:
>     \TeX\ will not deal with dimensions whose absolute value is
>    $\rm2^{30}\,sp$ or more. In other words, the ^{maximum legal dimension} is
>    slightly less than $16384\pt$. This is a distance of about 18.892 feet
>    (5.7583 meters), so it won't cramp your style.

Was there some reason known for this or as the other response suggested this
was back in the day of 32 or 16 bit integers? Personally I like fixed point
and have worked with that before for fast audio decompress and faught floating
point round off enough :) However those huge ints in the preamble seemed
a bit arbitrary and with some rounding maybe could be brought down to
extend range vs epsilon or something. I have been browsing the code
but ignoring dimensional stuff ( I still think a font is just a lut
between bytes and 5x7 bit map although 35 bits is too big for a 32 bit int LOL ).

And you have yet to hear from hoards of angry scroll scribes? Seriously
though the fixed page thing is a bit of a potential issue. Although this
is not map or mask ( for integrated circuit design ) layout and I guess
typesetting does not need huge dynamic range most of the time as you
can page to essentially arbitrary size.

Thanks.

--

mike marchywka