viewing long pages, evince seems to choke on simple test file

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 7 23:24:16 CEST 2019

I was playing around with long pages in xdvik and thought I would return
to things known to work. I made a simple test file,
cat pagesize.tex | uniq -c
      1
      1 \newcommand{\mjms}[1]{ }
      1 %\input{mikemailxxx.tex}
      1 %\documentclass[aps,secnumarabic,balancelastpage,amsmath,amssymb,nofootinbib]{revtex4-2}
      1 \documentclass{article}
      1 %\usepackage[a4paper, total={10in, 80in}]{geometry}
      1 %\usepackage[paperheight=80in,height=78in]{geometry}
      1 \usepackage[paperheight=80in,height=120in]{geometry}
      1
      1 \begin{document}
      1
      1 %\input{dum_clip.txt}
   1001 \section{test}
      1
      1 \end{document}

and ran

 2181  pdflatex --output-format=pdf pagesize.tex
 2183  pdflatex --output-format=dvi pagesize.tex
 2193  history | grep pdflatex

to generate pdf and dvi outputs for viewing in evince.
Neither seemed right although they were more or less similar
with the first page blank and the second starting
around section 40 test and ending at 318 in dvi
and 249 in the pdf file. The dvi output
starts like as show below ( I modified dviasm to output
a hex op code address ). It does look like page 1 is
more or less blank but then page 2 is trying to
start with "1 test." Is there something simple wrong
with my latex source? I have to admit I did not look
too closely as I had hoped to avoid problems
but thought I may have hit an overlfow somewhere.
If there is some simple thing to change the scale,
the numbers in the preamble look scary for integer math,
that may be all I need to know.

Thanks.

./mydviasm.txt pagesize.dvi |  more
[preamble]
id: 2
numerator: 25400000
denominator: 473628672
magnification: 1000
comment: ' TeX output 2019.09.07:1704'

[postamble]
maxv: 7473.810028pt
maxh: 449.879822pt
maxs: 4
pages: 2

[font definitions]
fntdef: cmr10 at 10pt
fntdef: cmbx12 (12pt)  at 14.399994pt

[page 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0]
57 xxx: 'papersize=614.295pt,5781.59999pt'
79 down: 7473.810028pt
7e push:
7f   down: -8727.399994pt
84   down: 8697.399994pt
89   down: 30pt
8d   push:
8e     right: 232.377502pt
a8     fnt: cmr10 at 10pt
a9     set: '1'
aa   pop:
ab pop:

[page 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0]
da down: 7473.810028pt
df push:
e0   down: -8727.399994pt
e5   down: 8697.399994pt
ea   push:
eb     down: -8662.399994pt
f0     push:
f1       push:
f2         right: 19.875198pt
10c         fnt: cmbx12 (12pt) at 14.399994pt
10d         set: '1'
10e       pop:
10f       right: 44.175171pt
113       set: 'test'