On avoiding the intended (but unwanted) effect of \outer

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Fri Oct 18 19:52:52 CEST 2019

Jim Diamond wrote:

I might agree.  But I think anything with \expandafter\noexpand ups
the lack of clarity considerably.

:-)   In which case I fear that you would think that an \afterassignment which launches an \aftergroup is also not entirely transparent ...

\def \imagebox #1{\csname newbox\endcsname #1\imagehacks {#1}\setbox #1}

\def \imagehacks #1%

     {%

        \advance \imagecount by 1

         \def \aftergrouphacks {\advance \imagewidth by \wd #1}

         \def \afterimagehacks {\aftergroup \aftergrouphacks}

         \afterassignment \afterimagehacks

    }

\imagebox \logobox = \hbox {\XeTeXpdffile ../../Logos/PT-Logo.pdf height \imageheight}

\imagebox \flagbox = \hbox {\XeTeXpdffile ../../Flags/St-Piran.pdf height \imageheight}

Philip Taylor