Diagonal text (n.2)

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sun May 26 16:51:27 CEST 2019

Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> writes:

> On 26/05/2019 14:52, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Very simple in LaTeX:
>>
>>   https://www.overleaf.com/latex/examples/example-of-rotated-text-in-latex/fkmpsbztrxmv
>>
>> but how about the same in plain TeX?  I suppose box rotating is involving,
>> but in TeXBook I don't see anything about \hboxes or \vboxes rotation...
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Rodolfo
>
> Rotation requires \special's, which therefore don't get mentioned in The
> TeXbook. One could do the grind oneself, but easier is to use the generic
> ability of the LaTeX graphicx package:
>
> \input graphicx %
> \rotatebox{45}{foo}
> \bye

Thanks, Philip and Joseph.  The solution proposed by Joseph works fine
although, as pointed out by Philip:

        "There is (to the best of my belief) no specification of rotation in
        the DVI specification, and therefore pure TeX could never accomplish
        such a thing."

...the result is seen in the final PDF output but not in dvi.  In fact, when
opening the simple above example in xdvi, it says:

$ xdvi test
xdvi: Warning: PS code on page 1 may contain rotation, which is not supported by xdvi
xdvi.bin: Warning: Raw Postscript commands on page 1 may be rendered incorrectly.

Rodolfo