piping DVI, who is Tom Rokicki ?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:59:49 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 09:04:07AM -0400, William Adams wrote:
>    As a person who remembers TeXview.app with great fondness I'll note that he developed TeXview.app for NeXTstep which used
>    this IPC method
>    [http://ftp.yzu.edu.tw/CTAN/support/hypertex/hypertex/]http://ftp.yzu.edu.tw/CTAN/support/hypertex/hypertex/
>    and see:
>    [http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb31-2/tb98panel.pdf]http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb31-2/tb98panel.pdf
>    William

Thanks, searching for "Tom" and reading his comments those questions still seem relevant although
do you know if "markdown" or whatever the web math thingy is somehow related to this session?

I played with a server version of "R" and a custom made java server and always wondered if there
is any use for a server version of tex. That might sound dumb as both can be quite slow but the server
I mentioned made heavy use of caching ( it was for custom ads generated in response to
a specific web page irequest and whatever is known about the viewer ).
Similarly with math or even dynamic web content a lot of it is reused anyway and better
caching could make even slow things practical. In my  case however if you want to send a tex like
source code to a browser and have it generate dvi or pdf locally client side then caching would not help.
Although apparently from the commentary here a lot of markdown just generates requests for
rendering by a third party and that is quite slow  ( beyond roundtrip web latency )
but not sure why if caching is cheap.

In any case incremental dvi does seem to have been explored before.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
marchywka at hotmail.com