Suggestions for a presentation (paper) type document that can handle complexity

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 14:27:41 CEST 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 06:30:17AM -0500, Brian Dunn wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:36:19 -0700
> Gordon Haverland <ghaverla at materialisations.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to start making for lack of a better description,
> > advertising/marketing documents.  Being able to convert to some kind of
> > HTML might be useful.
>
> Current methods for HTML conversion include tex4ht, lwarp, LaTeXML, and the
> more general pandoc conversion program.  Each of these is improving as time
> goes on, and you will want a TeXLive "vanilla" installation to keep
> up-to-date, or for Windows use MiKTeX.  Not sure about Mac.
>
> If you will be using numerous figures then investigate the keyfloat package,
> which is one of several packages which uses a key/value system to place
> floats, and also automatically adjusts the layout of groups of figures or
> subfigures.  It is also supported by the lwarp HTML conversion package.
>

> > Whenever I go to write something "important", it quickly turns into an
> > encyclopaedia.  I can't help it; brain dumping is something which comes
> > naturally to people affected by autism.
> >
> > In the past, I have typically used the article style and used hyperref
> > to handle complexity.  Well, at least as a PDF.  To print it out, paper
> > is a linear medium and complexity just seems to need lots of levels of
> > headings.  Maybe you have better ideas?
>
> In the world of technical writing there is a movement towards converting
> information into a collection of large numbers of very small free-standing
> "articles", all linked together by keywords and sophisticated search
> functions.  You will see this online at many technical support pages for
> various products.  Advantages can include reuse, standalone editing,
> incremental growth, and user-ranking.  "Was this answer helpful to you?"

When I see scientific papers online in html, many have collapsible figures.
Is this common in PDF and latex-source documents? I was going to the
effort of making the logically stuctured email with interactive
view parameters as a variant of having collapse/expand functions
for document sections but still not sure what exists.
 ( btw, the xdvik tool kit seems really nice to work with- did not
take too long to integrate into my exist c++ code that contains the
logic I want and now just need to generate dvi incrementally and get
xdvik to accept it for display).

On a content in scientific works note re "encyclopedia" , there is a tendency to
have rather terse discussions of potentially ambiguous results
often just saying they more or less are consistent with prevailing
ideas. Often there can be many realistic ways to interpret a
simple data set. Entire intellectual fads seem to persist
due to things like this- probably even the idea of amyloid beta
as a cause of Alzheimer's Disease ( which IIRC Bill Gates even
finally came out against LOL). This is peculiar because the most
interesting and exciting results are usually the least obvious
and currently accepted. If you have a way to make alternative explanations
optionally viewable and don't kill a tree for each page, it may help
in many ways.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox