DVI interpretters - was cr thread...

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 21:32:07 CEST 2019

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 02:21:08PM -0400, Carlos wrote:
>    Doug thank you so much for expressing it on human-readable terms. Something I couldn't have accomplished.
>    (on an unrelated note no more than four days ago I read, about your 'Hilbert Curves'. from the last month thread, My most
>    sincere congratulations to you, for such creative material and for using Olsak's macros, for whom deserved recognition of
>    his work had not been acknowledged (implemented) before - or if it was I'm not aware of.)   I disliked though, that you

If you guys want to debate the lower level stuff here, that may help me :)
I had some interest in making highly interactive documents-
mostly structured long emails that could hide and show groups of things based on key strokes. Initial results
with a latex-like syntax and string outputs were interesting so I was going to try something
more sophisticated but don't know what exists. I was debating abour hacking up evince but it may be
easier if I can find a dvi library that just executes it and puts it on the screen. One of first hits
was this,

https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb21-3/tb68kaku.pdf

If I have some code to generate dvi incrementally based on keystrokes what is the easiest way to get it on the screen?
I guess there may be extentions- 64 bit DVI lol - at least that are used by small groups.

There may be similar things in simple html/javascript libraries but one constraint is that the source
code be human readable similar to plain text and that it break up the document logically rather than
with interspersed formatting ( "\abstract" rather than a bunch of font and other mumbo jumbo ).
XML would work but again the language is so verbose you can not easily read the content in source code.

Thanks.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox