[texhax] could someone give me an explanation as to why fontsize fails with an overfull box

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:01:07 CET 2019

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 01:25:26AM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>On 2019-01-11 at 10:23:03 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>
> > Exactly. If you are setting type in a large size in a narrow
> > measure, you WILL get spacing and hyphenation/justification (H&J)
> > problems.
>
>TeX actually supports narrow columns much better than any other
>program because it considers whole paragraphs.
>
>The main Problem is always the very first line of a paragraph which
>doesn't benefit very much from TeX's advanced algorithms, if at all.
>
>Phil is concerned about the usage of \sloppy.  No LaTeX user is forced
>to use it.  I didn't use it for decades and I never advertised it.
>
>On the other hand, I never hesitated to use \sloppy in letters
>supposed to be sent to the tax office.
>
>Regards,
>  Reinhard

Sorry

Correction to this paragraph

And pardon me if I sound naive, and I'm trying not to sound redundant
either, and feel free to correct me here, but if one were to think of
a dash, is normally acceptable that this dash is to be loaded,
regardless of whatever given layout is specified, by having, as
convention currently holds, to have it included in between a word that
is to be hyphenated. But where is the common sense at, in writing it
[the dash] before or in between the characters of the word is not
finalized, if the word is not taking any shape in the end. One would
expect that the hyphenated word "rea-son" entails having human input
the same way it was done in the past. There is no doubt that the norm
to write a word is usually for the given language's syllables.  But it
makes no difference what the concomitants are in this time and age, as
long as the word is finalized with the dash or dasher that separates
it or splits it up and the page that its being shipped out reflects
it.

Take care Reinhard