[texhax] could someone give me an explanation as to why fontsize fails with an overfull box

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 13 01:25:26 CET 2019

On 2019-01-11 at 10:23:03 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

 > Exactly. If you are setting type in a large size in a narrow
 > measure, you WILL get spacing and hyphenation/justification (H&J)
 > problems.

TeX actually supports narrow columns much better than any other
program because it considers whole paragraphs.

The main Problem is always the very first line of a paragraph which
doesn't benefit very much from TeX's advanced algorithms, if at all.

Phil is concerned about the usage of \sloppy.  No LaTeX user is forced
to use it.  I didn't use it for decades and I never advertised it.

On the other hand, I never hesitated to use \sloppy in letters
supposed to be sent to the tax office.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25