bibtex bug/feature request

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 01:16:29 CET 2019

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 11:44:03PM +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 01:08:29PM -0800, David Williams via texhax wrote:
> > Dear TeX Hackers,
> >
> > As collaborations have grown, so have BibTex entries, and the entry generated by ADS for the paper "Multi-messenger Observations of a Binary Neutron Star Merger” is too long for the current character limit.   The entry can be found here:
> >
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017ApJ...848L..12A/abstract__;!!C5qS4YX3!QCGTY3sgBldIjM_AZw5gS-1DmZ-Y1K2wsGD3wx-Jjcs5e4K8iYJrvhHZL5m4gNc$
> >
> > using the Export Citation link at the left.  For the reference list of NSF proposals, all authors are supposed to be listed.  To do that, the full author list needs to be ingested by BibTex.  (For my immediate purposes, I have truncated the list with “and others” at a point that fits within the character limit.)
>
> I just tried it with my default test template and got this output.
> b_9.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \nocite{*}
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
> \bibliography{.temp_med2bib_4}
> \end{document}
> marchywka at happy:/home/documents/cpp/proj/toobib/junk$ head -n 8 .temp_med2bib_4.bib
>
> % srcurl:  https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017ApJ...848L..12A/abstract
> % citeurl:  http://api.crossref.org/works/10.3847/2041-8213/aa91c9/transform/application/x-bibtex
> % med2bib comment:  handledoi
> % date  Sun Dec 1 18:34:25 EST 2019
>
> @article{Abbott_2017,
> 	doi = {10.3847/2041-8213/aa91c9},

If you look at the attachments on this message, AFAICT it did output something that looks
like you requested with a 7 page citation and authors from A to Z. But
I remember spending a lot of time hacking through the arxiv links to get
bibtex going through some stupid Harvard links. That no longer appears to
work. If you click on the export citation thing here,

https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.05833

according to the browser it makes requests to things like doi and crossref arrrghh.

In any case, on the link you sent if the doi scraper got the right DOI
then it should have produced the citation you wanted but I did not check carefully.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
marchywka at hotmail.com