Can anyone recommend a spell checker for tex files?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Aug 15 13:00:52 CEST 2019

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:17:37 -0700, Paulo Ney de Souza stated:
>Ahhh ... KEdit, the DOS clone of the venerated XEdit that worked on
>VM/CMS. There are many people that swears by it and many that swear at
>it ... maybe someone should write a review-comparison of it and Emacs!
>
>The article by John McPhee is "Draft No. 4":
>
>    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/04/29/draft-no-4
>
>a very interesting piece of reading ...and so it is this article on
>him at NYT:
>
>    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/magazine/the-mind-of-john-mcphee.html
>
>I heard you can still buy KEdit:
>
>    https://www.kedit.com/index.html
>
>but it is probably not worth it ...
>
>We are trying to make OpenDetex work in Windows:
>
>    https://github.com/pkubowicz/opendetex
>
>so soon that coupled with Aspell (which runs fine on Windows) will
>give you an alternate path that will allow you to easily keep a
>private word-list.
>
>Paulo Ney
>

>On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:50 PM Michael Barr, Prof.
><barr.michael at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>> Thanks all.  It took longer than I wanted but the suggestion from Uwe
>> Ziegenhagen did the job.  I finally downloaded the open office
>> dictionary. There doesn't seem to be a way to add additional words
>> that I use all the time, but it worked.
>>

>> I actually have MS-Office on my computer (thanks to my computer
>> centre which makes Office 365 the only email interface) but simply
>> could not find their dictionaries.
>>

>> As for what editor I use, I have been using it and its many upgrades
>> for 35 years and have tuned it highly to make it easy to do tex
>> (e.g. the F-10 key lays down a pair of dollar signs and leaves the
>> cursor between them; F-11 and F-12 do the same for {} and () and
>> there are other shortcuts) and I am not about to change.  What it
>> doesn't have is an integrated spell-checker.  I used to have a very
>> good one but it was a 16 bit program that doesn't run under later
>> Windows.  The editor is called Kedit.  John McPhee once wrote a New
>> Yorker essay about his use of it.
>>

>> Anyway thanks for the help.  It might amuse you to know that I went
>> through an entire 20+ page paper (at the insistence of a coauthor)
>> and didn't find a single actual misspelling.
>>

>> Michael
>> ------------------------------

I have used Grammarly on MS Windows with great success. I either copy
the file and paste it into Grammarly or I do an import of the file
using Grammarly. In either case, Grammarly ignores most LaTeX commands
and concentrates on the actual text of the file. It does a good job of
finding punctuation mistakes also.

Unfortunately, it does not yet integrate with any LaTeX editors that I
am aware of, although I did read that there was some mention of
integrating it into TexStudio.

--
Jerry