[texhax] Two bibliographies in one paper.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 9 01:39:25 CEST 2018

See inline below.

On 09/09/2018 08:28 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 08/09/18 11:10, Rolf Turner wrote:[...]
>> The first reference section should list the sources cited in the
>> paper proper (i.e. in the initial part) and the second reference
>> section should list the sources cited by the discussants.  There may
>> be some overlap between the two.
>>
>> After doing some Googling I found out about the biblatex package,
>> and thought this might accommodate my needs.  But it doesn't.  For
>> one thing, biblatex is incompatible with the *.bst style files used
>> by bibtex, and I need to use the Journal's bibliography style,
>> specified by anzsj.bst.
>
> biblatex is the normal solution, and because it's all written in LaTeX
> code, it's not hard to modify it so that it produces the same format as
> anzsj.bst

Not hard for *you*, maybe, mate!  But for me, a Herculean task!  Don't
forget that I am a Bear of Very Little Brain!  But yeah, I guess I could
do it --- given that I could find a convenient chunk of time in which to
focus on it.

> BUT if you don't feel up to that, stick with plain ol' BiBTeX and
> anszj.bst and use the bibunits package which lets you produce multiple
> bibliographies (with overlap). There are other packages as well, like
> multibib and chapbib, but I haven't used them myself.

I experimented a bit with multibib last night, and got basically nowhere.

> You should probably make plans to convert to using biblatex, though, as
> the BiBTeX path is now obsolescent.

Thanks Peter.  The bibunits package is exactly what I need!

The one issue not addressed in your email (nor in the documentation for
bibunits, as far as I can see) is that of changing the title of the
bibliography from "References" to something else, e.g. "References for
the discussion".

However a little more Googling led me to discover that if I insert

\renewcommand{\refname}{\normalfont{\textit{References for
                        the discussion}}}

just before the appropriate \putbib command, then I get the required
title change.

Note the fiddling with fonts:  If I just put

\renewcommand{\refname}{References for the discussion}

I get the title in *bold* font, which does not match up the font for
the title of the initial bibliography.  And just putting

\renewcommand{\refname}{\textit{References for the discussion}}

gives the title in bold italic, which again does not match up.

(Can you explain the stubborn insistence on bold font?  Not that it
really matters; just idle curiosity.)

Anyhow, throwing in the \normalfont{ } command gives me exactly what I
want.  Wonderful!

Thanks again.

cheers,

Rolf