[texhax] xcolor package puzzle

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Tue Oct 9 08:05:27 CEST 2018

Dear TexHax and James Allison:

I am preparing a paper for PNAS.  The PNAS class file pnas-new.cls has
\RequirePackage{xcolor}.

For a table I am working on I have been using the table flag:

\usepackage[table]{xcolor}

so that I can get alternating grey striped lines:

\colorlet{tablerowcolor}{gray!19.0}
\rowcolors{4}{white}{tablerowcolor} % start alternation on 4th row

However, my usepackage conflicts with the PNAS cls file.  I could
modify the pnas-new.cls file but then it would fail when PNAS folks
compile my document with their standard cls.

Is there a way to activate [table] for xcolor so that I can use it?

----

The manual for xcolor says "These commands require the table option
(which loads the colortbl package)" (page 28).   Although I can
\usepackage{colortbl}, I still get 'Undefined control sequence' for
\rowcolors.  So that doesn't work ...

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator