[texhax] Smaller image-heavy pdf

Daniel Nemenyi daniel at pompo.co
Sat Nov 24 15:19:40 CET 2018

Dear all,

Would anyone be able to recomend a strategy for generating an
image-heavy pdf with a smaller filesize, say, for email
distribution, as well as the regular one for print? I currently
employ a ghostscript command to reduce my print-size pdf for me
[0], and it does what I'd like it to but unfortunately it breaks
all my \url{} and \href{}{} links. Maybe someone knows a bit of
ghostscript magic?

I've tried pdfsizeopt [1] which reduces the size of a 87M pdf to
78M, but I'm more aiming for something like the 3.4M that
ghostscript outputs.

Thanks
Dan

[0] $ gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4
-dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH
-sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

[1] https://github.com/pts/pdfsizeopt