[texhax] \hrule

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Jun 28 21:07:56 CEST 2018

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>If I type
>
> \hrule
>
> hallo
>
>, `hallo' with the \hrule above it gets shifted down a little (maybe a
>\baselinskip?).  I wish to define a \myhrule such that `hallo' remains at its
>place and the \hrule is just placed up, without any shift.  Possible...?

The top of the page is special. Vertical space is added so the baseline of
the first line is at a distance \topskip below the margin set by \voffset,
Also, the vertical space around an \hrule is special, in that no extra space
is added and so the rule is flush with the lines above and below it.

Perhaps what you want can be achieved with

  \vglue-\topskip
  \hrule
  \strut hallo

If you need "hallo" to sit at the same height as starting lines on other
pages, something like

  \vglue-\topskip
  \hrule
  \leavevmode \vbox to \topskip{}hallo

Ought to do it.

Cheers,

Daniel H. Luecking, Graduate Coordinator
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR, USA