[texhax] Problem with TeXLive after installation

runical runical_ml at gmx.com
Tue Mar 28 16:03:36 CEST 2017

Dear John,

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 22:41:22 -0500
JUAN QUISPE <juanuni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, my name is John and I have a problem with TeXLive. I'm final
> GNU/Linux user and I follow
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html for install TeXLive. I
> complete all the steps without problems. After install, in terminal I
> could run a hello-world tex file with pdflatex without problems.

Which Linux distribution are you using? You might also be interested in
using the provided TeXlive packages provided by the distribution
instead of installing your own. That would take quite a bit of work
out of your hands. I'm sure your distribution has install instructions.

> The problem ocurrs after close the terminal and open another terminal
> window. TeXLive not appears installed and nor any thing related to it.
> Indeed a LaTeX editor can't find TeXLive after this was installed
> even when I could run pdflatex in terminal.
>
> If I write in terminal pdflatex the output is: bash: pdflatex: no
> order found
>
> I have TeXLive bins in the
> folder /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux and I suppose I have
> permission to write into /usr/local/texlive because I did
>
> sudo setfacl -m u:myusername:rwx /usr/local/texlive
>
> I did: PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH ... is the
> correct way for do this?

It seems like your path was not carried over to your new terminal
session. Did you add the PATH to your .bashrc? If you didn't, you
should. Otherwise, your PATH will not include your TeXlive distribution
and you'll need to use the full path to get to the executable.

You can just paste the command you showed in this mail into the file
~/.bashrc to change your path permanently.

With kind regards,
runical