[texhax] Download errors from ftp://tug.org

Liviu Ionescu ilg at livius.net
Wed Dec 13 23:47:48 CET 2017

> On 14 Dec 2017, at 00:20, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
>    It looks like the ftp://tug.org server ...
>
> Nothing has changed with the tug.org ftp server in many years. It does
> have a limited number of anonymous ftp connections (10), because it's
> been my experience that are many clients which will consume every
> available connection. I tried ftp just now and it worked fine, so I
> don't think there is any error in the configuration.

ah, ok, this explains it, due to the 10 connections limitation, at any time the limit can be reached and the install script fails.

in practical terms, given the need to download about 3400 packages, you simply cannot complete an install.

if you want to check this yourself, please try a real net install, a single session is not enough.

> I'm glad the Utah mirror is working better for you (thanks Nelson).

thanks Nelson!

> If
> it starts to fail, I recommend abandoning ftp and using rsync. Both tug
> and utah are available by rsync, which is far more likely to succeed
> than ftp.

I'm not sure I understand your proposal.

as I mentioned, I need a scriptable method to install TexLive for some build environments (Docker images and macOS headless systems).

does the install-tl script support rsync?

if not, how exactly do you suggest to proceed to have a reliable method to install the 2016 version?

regards,

Liviu