[texhax] Graphics with Lyx.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri May 20 23:43:08 CEST 2016

I have recently had to deal with a paper submitted to ANZJS, that was
prepared using Lyx.  The paper was actually handled by one of my
technical-editing colleagues and he found that no matter what he did the
graphics that were contained in the paper were converted to png format
even though/when the graphics were provided as pdf files.  The resulting
diminishment in the quality of the graphics was noticeable and was
unacceptable for the Journal.

I know from nothing about Lyx --- I'm not even sure what it *is* exactly
--- but my colleague valiantly delved into it (by means of Googling
around) and managed to get Lyx to run.  However he could find no
solution to the bad png graphics problem.

We finally decided to tell the author *not* to use Lyx and provided her
with a *.tex file on which to make the necessary corrections (and then
process using MiKTeX).

Is Lyx's insistence on converting graphics files to png format a known
phenomenon?  Is there in fact a way to switch off this propensity and
thus get Lyx to produce high quality graphics?

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS