[texhax] Complex rule for citations of papers with multiple authors.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 19 10:34:36 CET 2016

Dear All,

The journal of which I am Technical Editor has the following rules about
citing papers with multiple authors:

(1) For one author use the form "Green (1999)".

(2) For two authors use the form "Black & Tan (1993)"

(3) For three authors, use all names "Red, White & Blue (2001)" the
first time, and then "Red et al. (2001)" subsequently.

(4) For four or more authors, always use the form "Gray et al. (2007)".

I would like to have a bibliography style that effected these rules
automagically.  Is this possible?  Is there a way in which I could
modify the Journal's current bibliography style file ("anzsj.bst") to
get it to effect these rules?

I have the feeling that (1), (2) and (4) should be straightforward, but
(3) could be tricky.

I would be grateful for any hints.

cheers,

Rolf Turner