[texhax] minipage margins

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:17:21 CET 2015

On 3 November 2015 at 20:11, Gerard E. Seibert <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
> I have a question regarding "\minipage". Is there a standard distance that
> separates minipages if they are placed next to each other? Something like a
> column separation distance. Also, is there a standard distance inside the
> minipage reserved for a margin? I cannot seem to find out any specific
> information on this.
>
> If I wanted to place three minipages across a document, equally sized and
> fill the entire area, would this work?
>
> \begin{minipage}[c]{0.33\linewidth}
> Some data
> \end{minipage}
> \begin{minipage}[c]{0.33\linewidth}
> Some data
> \end{minipage}
> \begin{minipage}[c]{0.33\linewidth}
> Some data
> \end{minipage}
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jerry

minipages are set with 0pt internal margins, and have no external
positioning rules at all, they are positioned exact;y as an "X" would
be positioned.

In your above you have a paragraph so there is

a paragraph indent box (usally 15pr or 0pt)
a minipage of .33\linewidth
 a word space .3 em or so, variable
a minipage of .33\linewidth
 a word space .3 em or so, variable
a minipage of .33\linewidth
\parfillskip (usually \hfill variable glue)

so whether that fits on one line or two depends on the paragraph
indentation and whether the two word spaces fit in the .01\linewidth
you have left.

If you want no space between the three minipages use

\noindent
\begin{minipage}{.33\linewidth}..\end{minipage}%
\begin{minipage}{.33\linewidth}..\end{minipage}%
\begin{minipage}{.33\linewidth}..\end{minipage}%

compare a paragraph

and

\noindent
X%