[texhax] Do any college courses exist in TeX?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Jun 23 10:54:02 CEST 2015

Am Tue, 23 Jun 2015 05:39:06 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

> On 2015-06-23 at 14:04:09 +1200, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>
>  > Assuming you are using Windows, if you install MiKTeX you will find
>  > all the commands and packages you need are already organised for
>  > you,
>
> What's missing in TeX Live?

Nothing (apart from some documentation and some not-so-free
packages)

> AFAIK MiKTeX installs all these packages
> in dribs and drabs while TeX Live runs out-of-the-box immediately.

Miktex runs out-of-box too. And while you can install at first only
a basic system and then rely on on-the-fly installation you don't
need to do it.

>  > and if you use an interface/editor like WinEDT you will find that
>  > most common functions are represented as buttons to click on.

> I doubt that buttons are helpful at all

It can be quite handy to be able to click on the graphic of an arrow
and get "\leftrightsquigarrow" inserted in your code --  much faster
than skimming through the symbol list. And while I start most
compilation steps with keyboard shortcuts I use buttons for
makeindex and other things I don't need very often.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/