[texhax] best way to do texbook examples

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Jul 16 17:56:47 CEST 2015

On 07/16/2015 05:55 AM, Hefferon, James S. wrote:

> While I agree with most of what you said, I want to comment on the
> recommendation of TeXWorks.

[...]

> I teach a class (on proofs) where I require students to learn some
> LaTeX.  In my writeup I recommended TeXWorks, believing the above
> sentence to be a fair characterization.  My understanding was that TW
> was the right mix for a person who is learning.
>
> My students quickly reported that there was no "Print".  I found that
> they are right.

[...]

> certainly gave LaTeX a black eye in their views, which
> is the opposite of what I had hoped for.

Oh! I didn't see that coming! To be honest, I don't use TeXworks myself,
but Emacs under Ubuntu (and LaTeX, not TeX). I just installed TeXworks
on Ubuntu and, indeed, it says it can not print.

Obviously, this has nothing to do with (La)TeX, but to someone new to
TeX it might seem as a shortcoming of this typesetting system.

Let's hope that someone like Philip Taylor (who, as I understand, uses
both Windows and TeX) can recommend Tamás a good front-end (of course
Emacs is excellent, but it has a steep learning curve, and I think Tamás
would rather focus on The TeXbook exercises than on learning Emacs).

Best

Axel