[texhax] Hyperref and print

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Tue Jul 14 02:11:41 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-13 at 19:00:17 -0400, Michael Barr wrote:

 > The journal I do some of the TeXnical editing for is experiment
 > with \hyperref.  We like the colorlinks=true option and have
 > experiment with different colors.  But if the link is in a color,
 > B&W printers, at least the ones we have experimented with, print it
 > lighter than the surrounding text.  Is there any of doing it so
 > that the hyperref code displays onscreen, but is suppressed in the
 > print?

There are at least two solutions:

 1. avoid colorlinks=true for printing

 2. use darker colors

It'a a matter of fact that most colors defined by hyprerref are too
bright.  They are even much too bright for display on screen.

The best thing you can do is to replace hyperref's default colors by
darker ones.

Dark colors are handled more gracefully by B&W printers.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de