[texhax] tlmgr on debian

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:10:14 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:50 AM, Joseph Wright
<joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 09:48, shawn wilson wrote:
>> I only saw rsync to pretest...?
>
> The instructions say
>
>> To do a network installation, download either install-tl-unx.tar.gz
> (Unix) or install-tl.zip (larger; Windows or Unix), unpack it, and run
> the included install-tl script, as described below. (To reiterate: you
> must use install-tl from the pretest; trying to work with a TL
> installation from previous years will fail completely.)
>
> then talk about rsync if you want a local copy of the entire thing. I
> always just download the installer script then let it grab the bits as
> it goes along: that is after all how the release version is used.

Point being, there's no metadata in the tarball or rsync - which is
kinda nice when using software that's not from a release cut. Hell, it
can be nice with a cut because of diff and blame/annotate etc to
answer the question "why is this doing this, what were they
thinking"... I don't do enough tex to think I need a *really* current
repo and don't know enough to contribute anything useful, but to say
the tarball is the same as the repo is kinda missing something.