[texhax] Danish character in Plain TeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Oct 5 01:31:10 CEST 2014

On 2014-10-04 at 17:00:06 +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > If your files are in Unicode, XeTeX is your best bet,

I fear that anything written 25 years ago is not aware of Unicode.
And I also fear that Palle has to find out which encoding he actually
used.  It could be ISO-8859-1 or one of Microsoft's code pages.

Nowadays it makes sense to convert everything to Unicode.  There is a
Unix tool called iconv which can be used to convert any everything to
Unicode conveniently.

I'm not aware of such a tool for Windows and I didn't find any iconv
binaries for Windows in the internet.  But fortunately I could create
an iconv.exe file using the MXE cross compiler (based on MinGW) on
Linux.

The file

  http://ms25.x64.me/w32/iconv/iconv.zip

has to be extracted in a directory which is %PATH% .

It contains the files

  iconv.exe
  libcharset-1.dll
  libiconv-2.dll

If someting is missing, let me know.  The Windows binaries work fine
in Wine but I don't have access to a real Windows system ATM.  I
tested it successfully on a real Windows system a few momths ago but
don't remember whether additional DLL's were required.

After all, IMO iconv is very useful and easy to use.  The nasty thing
is to find out how these 25 year old files are encoded.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de