[texhax] controlling table locations

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu May 15 17:01:02 CEST 2014

Thomas Schneider wrote:

> I meant "all".  That is, a journal may want all tables at the end of
> the paper but while writing, or for my own version, having the tables
> in the middle of the document makes them easier to work with and
> easier to read.

Well.  If LaTeX were sufficiently general in its approach to allow
not only \begin{table}[h], \begin{table}[p], etc., but also to allow
\begin{table}[\tableplacementA], \begin{table}[\tableplacementB], etc.,
then it would be the work of a moment to define \tableplacement A
as {h}, \tableplacementB as {p} for testing but to re-define the
former as {p} for production.  But what little experience I have
of LaTeX leads me to believe that it probably won't expect/allow
a macro at that point, in which case the idea is doomed.  But of
course I may be wrong ...

Philip Taylor