[texhax] controlling table locations

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Thu May 15 16:36:18 CEST 2014

Uwe:

> > > \makeatletter
> > > \def\fps at table{h}
> > > \makeatother
> >
> > \makeatletter, \makeatother and \fps at table are latex commands.
> >  All are defined in latex.ltx.

Oh!

> I have sometimes thought that some LaTeX users prefer
> using "official LaTeX user commands" only rather than
> internals and behaved accordingly. The LaTeX Companion
> even urged package writers to restrict themselves
> to what is documented in manuals, criticized by Claudio
> Beccari TUGboat 24 (2), p. 277.
>
> > As \fps at table contains the default location changing it affects only
> > tables which don't overwrite the location locally.
> >
> > \begin{table}[h] %<--- not affected
> >
> > \begin{table} %<--- affected

Ok, thanks for explaining that.

> This affects _all_ tables without optional arguments.

Ahh - so that would force me to remove the '[h]' from the tables.

> One point here is that the original request
>
>     tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2014-May/021133.html
>
> was for "switching between ... for many tables at once".
> It is not obvious what Tom wanted then, but "many" and
> "all" are not exactly the same.

I meant "all".  That is, a journal may want all tables at the end of
the paper but while writing, or for my own version, having the tables
in the middle of the document makes them easier to work with and
easier to read.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov (current link)