[texhax] What program can I use to edit TeX files?

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Thu Mar 21 18:37:40 CET 2013

Shubho:

> Emacs is a good editor too.

Let the religious wars begin!! 8^)

I had thought of mentioning Emacs ...  Computer programmers tend to
like Emacs.  I tried it briefly one day and found it forced me to use
multiple key presses simultaneously for what would be one key in vim.
I think the tradeoff is that in Emacs you can program very fancy
things (like recognizing a language's structure).  Since I don't need
(or am ignorant of?) that, the complicated keystrokes get in my way
for fast typing.  Also, vim is Vi Improved and it does allow some
rather powerful things now (compared to the old vi), though I don't
know if it comes up to the level Emacs allows.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms