[texhax] Having a Problem Compiling My Tex Document

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 21:45:49 CET 2013

I've not seen the true original, only the minimal example.

With the identified error corrected, there are still a number
of things one might point out for someone new to LaTeX.

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{amsthm}
> \usepackage{mathrsfs}
> \begin{document}
> \fbox{\parbox{\textwidth}{\vskip.2em
> 13. Let $K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{m})$, let $p$ be a prime integer and let
> $m \neq 1$ be a square free integer such that $m \equiv 1 \emph{mod} 4$).
> \begin{enumerate}
> \item[a.] Prove: $p\mathbb{Z}$ ramifies in $K/\mathbb{Q}$ if and only if
> $p \mid m$.
> \item[b.] Perform computations analogous to those made in section 4.8 of
> the text. (Note that $2\mathbb{Z}$ will be unramified in $K/\mathbb{Q}$,
> and care must be taken to distinguish between the split and inert cases
> for $p = 2$.)
> \end{enumerate}
> \vskip.2em}}
> {\it Solution.} \bigskip
> %--------insert your solution to problem 2 below this line
> \end{document}

"1 \emph{mod} 4" does not look good to my eyes, and there's
a stray parenthesis to the right.  I think "\pmod{4}" (or
"\bmod 4") would be better.

In this clip the "fi" ligature is appearing for itself
(twice).  This may not be a good thing; replacing it with
simple "fi" will, I think, work more universally.

My reference materials are not handy, but I think for LaTeX,
\vspace should be used in preference to \vskip, and,
moreover, I think it's better to use ex units (rather than
em units) for vertical lengths.

                              -- Bill