[texhax] dvips not reading the map file (tamil/malayalam omega)

P. P. Narayanaswami swami at mun.ca
Tue Jan 29 19:54:11 CET 2013

I am trying to install tamil Omega 1.0.2 in ubuntu 12.04 texlive system..
The install.sh script that comes with the package places the
various files in the texmf tree as follows:
.pfb 	/fonts/type1/tamil
.tfm 	/fonts/tfm/tamil
.sty 	/tex/lambda/tamil
.fd 	/tex/lambda/tamil
.map 	/fonts/map/dvips/tamil
.otp 	/omega/otp/tamil
.ocp 	/omega/ocp/tamil
And does
texhash
updmap-sys --enable Map tamil.map

After this, the command "lamed file.tex" works fine and the .dvi file is
created.  But, dvips is not reading the  .map files and tries to make bitmaps
kpathsea:  Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 3+300/600 --dpi 2100
tmca0bps
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for tmca0bps.
and hence no .ps output is generated.  Consequently ps2pdf command also
generates an empty pdf file.

The command: kpsewhich tamil.map certainly locates the map file.

I guess the problem is the incorrect directory where the map file is
placed.  What is the correct directory where the .map file should go?
I see the standard psfonts.map, builtin35.map etc  resides in
/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
Where should I move the tamil.map file so that dvips can read it and generate
tghe .ps file, and then the ps2pdf command can generate the pdf output? Will it
help if I move the tamil.map here and do texhash and an updmap?

By the way, things used to work perfectly in previous versions of ubuntu
textlive 2007.

Any help will be appreciated.

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php